Armenian Medicine

Today on Facebook, my friend Hayko had the link of a great article. The topic of health is among many I am interested in.

It reminds me of my maternal grandmother Azniv Vahide Aslanian. She had a list of ingredients she used to make the "sev mahlam" or "black cream". It was literally black, by the time she mixed on low heat on our balcony, all the ingredients. She used to put in small jars and give out to relatives and friends of the family. What a great noble gesture. If it was these days, she would have made a mint with her knowledge! Asking family members about that peace of paper was futile.... no clue where it is.

I did further digging about the Armenian medicine and here is the book I came across:
http://s4.invisionfree.com/Armenian_History/ar/t90.htm Erebuni - January 3, 2010 07:34 AM (GMT)
MEDICINE IN ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL ARMENIA
Stella Vardanian

And the link to the article in the Smithsonian magazine is:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/armenian-folk-remedies-turned-modern-cosmetics-180963388/#ZFGgj6S140BoARlW.01

If you have additional information about Armenian medicine, I would love to hear from you!

Comments