The situation in Armenia has been so precarious for many years already.
Yesterday was the elections.... and they chose Pashinyan.
On linked in I saw
Anna Astvatsaturian Turcotte, J.D.
Portland, Maine, United States 's post today and here it is:
So touching!
"So! Armenia decided what it doesn’t want to do - the majority did not participate in this year’s election. I talked to many of these folks in Armenia two weeks ago and they clearly did not want to be put in a difficult position of deciding between two very flawed candidates with polar opposite ideologies. The citizens that voted had their voice heard loud and clear. Diaspora is now reeling from these results and the results of the war and many are telling me they’ll never donate a cent to Armenia because it continues to work against its own interests. Valid point. But who is winning in all this mess? Azerbaijan. Who is the biggest victim? Armenian people. Especially those in Artsakh, Tavush and Syunik, struggling with lack of physical security against a genocidal neighbor, fractured society and lack of governmental structures to support them. My initial response to the election is, as it was in US: “The country deserves the leaders it elects.” My second response is - I will continue to donate thousands of my own dollars toward my projects at Anna Astvatsaturian Foundation www.Astvatsaturian.org that deal with every day Armenian people in these regions. And despite the fact that few years ago I was told by consular services of Armenian embassy that it will be difficult for me to prove to the government of Armenia that I’m in fact Armenian (my Soviet birth certificate clearly demonstrates that I am🤨) I will be filing for Armenian citizenship in the coming months. I will no longer be told to stand to the side.
Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment.